Pump Installation and Maintenance
Course Number: 844
The Pump Installation and Maintenance textbook covers basic pumping concepts. It describes required maintenance of packing and seals and the maintenance and overhaul of centrifugal pumps. It concludes with maintenance of rotary pumps.
Recommended Contact Hours – 8
Preview a Chapter
- Table of Contents
- My Custom Book
- Exam Copies
- Suggested Titles
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Basic Pumping Concepts
Topics: Available and required NPSH; Checking pump capacity; Computing pump power requirements; Operational factors; Priming a pump
- Compute the amount of work done when given values for force and distance.
- Name the two types of energy.
- Check a pump's capacity by determining the NPSHA of the system.
- Compute the brake horsepower required to drive a pump under given conditions.
- Explain how to prime a fluid-handling pump.
Chapter 2: Maintaining Packing and Seals
Topics: Selecting packing material; Removing old, installing new packing; Mechanical seals; Maintenance and troubleshooting
- Identify the two major functions of packing and seals.
- Explain the selection and installation of packing rings on a pump shaft.
- Identify the components of typical mechanical seals.
- Name at least three advantages of mechanical seals over packing.
- Describe how to install a mechanical seal on a pump shaft.
- Discuss the care and maintenance of packing and seals.
Chapter 3: Maintaining Centrifugal Pumps
Topics: Installing the pump; Preparing the foundation; Checking alignment; Inspection; Common problems; Cavitation; Ring seizure; Overheating
- Explain how to align and level a pump on its base.
- Explain the needs for and uses of auxiliary pump drives.
- Identify the major symptom of faulty packing.
- Identify the major symptom of cavitation on a pump impeller.
- Describe the causes and remedies of common centrifugal pump problems.
- Tell how to conduct a periodic inspection of the major pump components.
Chapter 4: Overhauling Centrifugal Pumps
Topics: Preparation; Moving, disassembling, reassembling, and reinstalling a pump; Inspecting parts; Checking clearances
- Describe the procedures involved in disassembling, inspecting, reassembling, and reinstalling a centrifugal pump.
- Explain how to check the runout of a pump shaft.
- Explain how to check the clearances between stationary rings and the impeller or rotating rings.
- Describe how to make a new housing gasket.
Chapter 5: Maintaining Rotary Pumps
Topics: Installing, maintaining, and troubleshooting rotary pumps; Aligning pump and piping; Direction of rotation; Startup; Scheduling inspections; PM
- Identify the differences between the different types of rotary pumps.
- Trace the path of fluid through a rotary pump.
- Identify the major problem areas in a rotary pump.
- Explain how to troubleshoot some of the common problems of rotary pumps.
- Create a maintenance schedule for inspections and a record-keeping log.
Add Chapters to Your Custom Book
- Chapter 1: Basic Pumping Concepts
- Chapter 2: Maintaining Packing and Seals
- Chapter 3: Maintaining Centrifugal Pumps
- Chapter 4: Overhauling Centrifugal Pumps
- Chapter 5: Maintaining Rotary Pumps
Request Exam Copies
Ready to see a copy of our textbooks? After selecting which textbooks you’d like to review for your course, you can submit your request by either logging in or creating an account so we know where to ship your exam copies. A representative from Schoolcraft will contact you to confirm and finish processing your request.
Exam copies are always free and yours to keep.