Indexed Milling Procedures
Course Number: 827
The Indexed Milling Procedures textbook covers the use of the dividing head, as well as plain, differential, and angular indexing. It explains the use of the dividing head for milling hexagons, and proceeds to the cutting of spur gears, helical gears, and cams.
Recommended Contact Hours – 8
Preview a Chapter
- Table of Contents
- My Custom Book
- Exam Copies
- Suggested Titles
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Using the Dividing Head
Topics: Indexing; Dividing head; Indexing fractions of a turn and parts of a degree; Sector arms; Selecting an index plate; Angular and differential indexing
- Describe indexing and its uses.
- Identify the parts of a dividing head.
- List the four types of indexing you can do with a dividing head.
- Explain how to use sector arms to index fractions of a turn.
- Select the right index plate for the job.
Chapter 2: Dividing Head Setup
Topics: Dividing head center, driver, and chuck; Milling hexagons; Side and straddle milling; Setting up the dividing head; Indexing the workpiece
- Mount a dividing head on a milling machine table.
- Mount work between a dividing head and footstock.
- Mount work in a dividing head chuck.
- Index and side mill or straddle mill a hexagonal workpiece.
- Use the dividing head to index a series of holes in a circle.
Chapter 3: Milling Spur Gears
Topics: Milling spur gear teeth; Concentricity; Aligning the workpiece; Setting up the dividing head; Indexing with a rotary table; Gear tooth calipers; Helical milling; Helix angle and pitch
- Index spur gear teeth on a gear blank.
- Use formulas to compute gear tooth dimensions.
- Select the correct cutter for specific spur gear tooth dimensions.
- Explain how to use a rotary table.
- Use the measuring over pins technique to check the dimensions of gears.
- Define the terms helix, helix lead, helix angle, and helix pitch.
Chapter 4: Helical Milling
Topics: Using idler gears; Milling helical flutes; Indexing; Selecting and aligning the cutter; Setting depth of cut; Milling a helical gear
- Use change gears to vary the lead of the milling machine.
- Describe the purpose of idler gears.
- Compute the lead of a helix.
- Index and mill helical teeth on a cutter.
- Index and mill helical gears
Chapter 5: Milling Cams
Topics: Cam functions; Nonpositive and positive cam systems; Uniform motion, harmonic cam systems; Incremental-cut method
- Describe positive and nonpositive cam systems.
- Define radial cam terms such as cam lobe, uniform rise, cam rise, and cam lead.
- Mill a uniform-rise cam.
- Mill a short-lead cam.
- Mill a multilobe cam.
- Explain how to use the incremental-cut method to mill a nonuniform rise cam.
Add Chapters to Your Custom Book
- Chapter 1: Using the Dividing Head
- Chapter 2: Dividing Head Setup
- Chapter 3: Milling Spur Gears
- Chapter 4: Helical Milling
- Chapter 5: Milling Cams
Request Exam Copies
Ready to see a copy of our textbooks? After selecting which textbooks you’d like to review for your course, you can submit your request by either logging in or creating an account so we know where to ship your exam copies. A representative from Schoolcraft will contact you to confirm and finish processing your request.
Exam copies are always free and yours to keep.