Lathe-Machining Work in a Chuck
Course Number: 825
A sequential follow-up to the 324 textbook on lathe operation, the Lathe-Machining Work in a Chuck textbook covers chuck installation, boring and counterboring operations, thread cutting, and taper boring. It continues into special lathe operations that use faceplates, angle plates, and boring bars. It provides several real ""hands-on"" projects.
Recommended Contact Hours – 8
Preview a Chapter
- Table of Contents
- My Custom Book
- Exam Copies
- Suggested Titles
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Lathe Setup and Workpiece Preparation
Topics: Chuck size selection; Installing a chuck and work in a chuck; Correcting misalignment; Using 3-jaw, 4-jaw, collets chuck, and mandrels; Removing chuck
- Select and install a chuck.
- Install and center work in a chuck.
- Use a 3-jaw and 4-jaw chuck.
- Use a collet chuck.
- Use a mandrel.
Chapter 2: Rough Turning and Finish Turning
Topics: Tool selection, installation, and alignment; Setting speed and feed; Rough turning; Cutting fluids; Longitudinal feed; Rough and finish turning; Facing
- Select, install, and align both a facing tool and a turning tool.
- Set the correct speed and feed for facing and turning.
- Rough turn a workpiece.
- Finish turn a workpiece.
- Face a shoulder
Chapter 3: Boring and Counterboring
Topics: Boring tool design; Installing a boring bar and bit; Adjusting cross feed; Rough boring; Coolants; Finish boring; Counterboring
- Select and install a boring bar and bit.
- Select the speed and feed for boring and counterboring.
- Make a trial cut
- Rough bore and finish bore a workpiece.
- Counterbore a workpiece.
Chapter 4: Cutting Internal Threads and Boring Tapers
Topics: Tool selection; Installing, aligning, and threading the workpiece; Checking finished threads; Boring tapers
- Select, install, and align a thread-cutting tool.
- Machine internal threads in a workpiece.
- Check finished threads.
- Bore a taper using the compound-rest method.
- Bore a taper using the taper-attachment method.
Chapter 5: Holding Irregular and Oversize Workpieces
Topics: Mounting workpiece on a faceplate; Using faceplate jaws, clamps, and angle plates; Facing large diameters; Specialized mandrel; Boring
- Mount and true a faceplate.
- Use faceplate clamps and jaws.
- Hold work on an angle plate.
- Mount work on the lathe carriage for boring.
Add Chapters to Your Custom Book
- Chapter 1: Lathe Setup and Workpiece Preparation
- Chapter 2: Rough Turning and Finish Turning
- Chapter 3: Boring and Counterboring
- Chapter 4: Cutting Internal Threads and Boring Tapers
- Chapter 5: Holding Irregular and Oversize Workpieces
Request Exam Copies
Ready to see a copy of our textbooks? After selecting which textbooks you’d like to review for your course, you can submit your request by either logging in or creating an account so we know where to ship your exam copies. A representative from Schoolcraft will contact you to confirm and finish processing your request.
Exam copies are always free and yours to keep.