Rest Room Care
Course Number: 854
The Rest Room Care textbook covers the fundamentals of rest room design and construction and the elements of routine rest room cleaning. It covers the specifics of cleaning rest room plumbing fixtures, describes the periodic tasks required to keep rest rooms in good condition, and finally introduces the trainee to the topic of disinfection, its importance in rest rooms, and methods of performing this task safely.
Recommended Contact Hours – 8
Preview a Chapter
- Table of Contents
- My Custom Book
- Exam Copies
- Suggested Titles
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Rest Room Basics
Topics: Rest room floors, walls, and ceilings; Plumbing fixtures; Sinks; Toilets; Showers and tubs; Hospital, food service rest rooms
- List the three kinds of rest room surfaces that you must clean, and tell how to clean each type.
- Describe the different rest room flooring materials, and tell how to recognize and clean each one.
- Describe the common types of walls and ceilings in rest rooms, and tell how to care for each one.
- Name the common types of rest room plumbing fixtures, and describe the features of each.
- Describe the differences among rest rooms in different kinds of buildings.
Chapter 2: Routine Rest Room Cleaning
Topics: Cleaning supplies; Clearing and blocking a rest room; Removing trash; Restocking; Cleaning plumbing fixtures and floors; Equipment care
- Explain how to gather and prepare supplies needed for routine cleaning tasks.
- Explain how to clear and block a rest room for daily cleaning.
- Explain how to remove trash from a rest room's trash cans, sanitary napkin disposals, and ashtrays.
- Explain how to restock paper products and hand soap.
- List the correct sequence of steps for cleaning the surfaces of a rest room.
- Explain daily dry cleaning and wet cleaning procedures for above-floor surfaces of a rest room.
- Explain procedures for daily cleaning of a rest room floor.
Chapter 3: Cleaning Plumbing Fixtures
Topics: Equipment and chemicals for cleaning sinks, toilets, showers, and tubs; How to clean
- Explain safety precautions that you must take to protect yourself when cleaning plumbing fixtures.
- List the equipment and chemicals needed for cleaning sinks.
- Explain the proper procedure for cleaning sinks.
- List the equipment and chemicals needed for cleaning toilets and urinals.
- Explain the proper procedure for cleaning toilets and urinals.
- List the equipment and chemicals needed for cleaning showers and tubs.
- Explain the proper procedure for cleaning showers and tubs.
Chapter 4: Periodic Rest Room Cleaning
Topics: Rest room ceilings, walls, and partitions; Graffiti removal; Pressure washing; Stripping and refinishing
- Tell how often to clean rest room ceilings, walls, and partitions.
- Explain how to wash rest room ceilings by hand and with a machine.
- Tell which ceilings must be vacuumed and explain how to vacuum ceilings.
- Explain how to remove graffiti from rest room walls, and how to wash rest room walls and partitions.
- Tell how to scrub, pressure wash, strip, and refinish a rest room floor.
- Explain the difference between scrubbing and/or pressure washing a rest room floor that has a drain and one that does not.
Chapter 5: Rest Room Disinfection
Topics: Germ size, growth, movement, and transfer; Chemicals that kill germs; Kinds of cleaner/disinfectants; Aseptic cleaning
- Describe germs in terms of size and reproduction.
- Tell what conditions germs need to live, grow, and multiply, and relate these conditions to rest rooms.
- Explain how germs move from one place to another in a rest room.
- List the kinds of disinfectants that kill germs, or stop them from growing.
- Contrast resident and transient odors in a rest room, and explain how to prevent resident odors.
- Explain how, why, and when to use deodorants in a rest room.
- Tell why disinfection must be done, how often it should be done, and how to do it correctly.
Add Chapters to Your Custom Book
- Chapter 1: Rest Room Basics
- Chapter 2: Routine Rest Room Cleaning
- Chapter 3: Cleaning Plumbing Fixtures
- Chapter 4: Periodic Rest Room Cleaning
- Chapter 5: Rest Room Disinfection
Request Exam Copies
Ready to see a copy of our textbooks? After selecting which textbooks you’d like to review for your course, you can submit your request by either logging in or creating an account so we know where to ship your exam copies. A representative from Schoolcraft will contact you to confirm and finish processing your request.
Exam copies are always free and yours to keep.