Mechanical and Fluid Drive Systems
Course Number: 842
The Mechanical and Fluid Drive Systems textbook covers further details of drive maintenance, including brakes, clutches, and adjustable-speed drives. It also covers maintenance and troubleshooting of fluid drives and package drive systems.
Recommended Contact Hours – 8
Preview a Chapter
- Table of Contents
- My Custom Book
- Exam Copies
- Suggested Titles
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Mechanical Brakes and Clutches
Topics: Installing mechanical clutches and brakes; Preparing shafting; Initial lubrication; Providing the power supply; Test running; PM; Safety
- Explain how friction-type and jaw-type clutches differ in construction.
- Name the precautions that should be taken when mounting body on a shaft.
- Explain how to test-run a mechanical clutch with no load.
- Explain how to install a mechanical brake.
- Describe the results of improper alignment between driving and driven shafts.
- Identify the problems that may be indicated by chatter and excessive noise.
Chapter 2: Electric Brakes and Clutches
Topics: Single- and multiple-disc friction clutch; Tooth-type, hysteresis, eddy-current, and magnetic particle clutch; Heat dissipation; PM; Wiring; Safety
- Describe how single-disc and multiple-disc friction clutches operate.
- Explain how the principle of hysteresis is applied in electric clutches.
- List the three basic components of magnetic particle clutch.
- Differentiate between the static torque, pickup torque, and average torque of a clutch.
- Identify the problems that may arise in a clutch if its heat is not dissipated.
- Define decay time, pull-in time, and response time.
Chapter 3: Adjustable-Speed Drives
Topics: Storage and protection of enclosed drives; Handling and leveling enclosed drives; Repairing shafting; Vibration; Lubrication; Test running; PM; Safety
- List the precautions necessary to provide extra protection for open-type drives.
- Describe how to install an enclosed-type drive on a concrete floor.
- Explain how to prepare the shafting when installing a new enclosed drive.
- Describe the initial lubrication of new adjustable-speed drives.
- Describe how to test-run an adjustable-speed drive under no load and full load conditions.
- Name some of the safety rules for working on an adjustable drive.
Chapter 4: Fluid Drives
Topics: Constant and variable-speed couplings; Torque converters; Coupling drive arrangements; Installing fluid couplings; PM, Safety
- Explain how a fluid drive works.
- Describe how constant-speed couplings differ from variable-speed couplings.
- Trace the fluid path through a torque converter using either a drawing or a cutaway.
- Describe the various ways of mounting a fluid coupling.
- Explain how to cool the fluid in large couplings.
- Discuss preventive maintenance procedures for couplings.
Chapter 5: Complete Drive Systems
Topics: Drive with coupling and roller chain, with two flexible couplings, and with right-angle shafts; Installation; PM; Troubleshooting; Safety
- List the components used in a typical drive system.
- Name the part of a drive system in which most of the speed reduction occurs.
- Describe the construction and operation of a shaft-mounted drive.
- List the protective devices for a drive.
- Explain the proper maintenance procedures for a drive system.
- Describe the steps to be taken when troubleshooting a drive system.
Add Chapters to Your Custom Book
- Chapter 1: Mechanical Brakes and Clutches
- Chapter 2: Electric Brakes and Clutches
- Chapter 3: Adjustable-Speed Drives
- Chapter 4: Fluid Drives
- Chapter 5: Complete Drive Systems
Request Exam Copies
Ready to see a copy of our textbooks? After selecting which textbooks you’d like to review for your course, you can submit your request by either logging in or creating an account so we know where to ship your exam copies. A representative from Schoolcraft will contact you to confirm and finish processing your request.
Exam copies are always free and yours to keep.