Tubing and Hose System Maintenance
Course Number: 846
The Tubing and Hose System Maintenance textbook covers tubing specifications, materials, and fittings. It explains procedures used for handling, bending, cutting, and installing tubing, and gives basics of tubing in a hydraulic system. The course describes hose systems and their functions, and concludes with gaskets, sealants, and adhesives.
Recommended Contact Hours – 8
Preview a Chapter
- Table of Contents
- My Custom Book
- Exam Copies
- Suggested Titles
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Tubing Fundamentals
Topics: Tubing specifications and materials; Fittings; Handling, cutting, bending, sawing, filing, and deburring tubing; Calculating tubing length
- Compare and contrast tubing and pipe.
- List factors to be considered when selecting tubing for a specific application.
- State a common application of various tubing materials.
- Describe various fittings and tell how to select the proper fitting for a given tube.
- Tell why is it sometimes necessary to anneal tubing.
- List the steps to follow when cutting, sawing, and deburring tubing.
- Explain how to calculate tubing length accurately.
- List the steps involved in bending a given length of tubing.
Chapter 2: Installing Tubing
Topics: Determining size; Soldered, brazed, flared, and flareless fittings; Flaring tubing; Installing compression fittings; Supports; Maintenance
- Define the service conditions that must be taken into account when selecting tubing.
- List the properties and typical uses of various types of fittings.
- Explain the procedures involved in soldering and brazing.
- Name several types of flaring tools and explain how they are used.
- Explain how to install flared and flareless fittings.
- Tell how and why tubing systems should be well supported.
- List common causes of tubing system problems and their solutions.
Chapter 3: Hydraulic Tubing Systems
Topics: Hydraulic line components; Control devices; Selecting tubing and fittings; Installing, maintaining, and troubleshooting hydraulic tubing systems
- Explain the principles of force, pressure, and area as applied to hydraulics.
- Discuss hydraulic fluids, hydraulic circuits, and hydraulic line components.
- Explain how to select the proper tubing and fittings for hydraulic systems.
- Describe maintenance and troubleshooting procedures for hydraulic tubing systems.
Chapter 4: Hose Systems
Topics: Hose construction and fitting; Measuring assembly length; Calculating hose length for bends; Installation; Testing; Inspection; Maintenance
- Discuss the three most common applications for hoses in industry.
- Describe hose fitting classifications and installation techniques.
- Explain how to calculate hose lengths for bends.
- Describe the methods of testing, inspection, and maintaining hose.
Chapter 5: Gaskets, Sealants, and Adhesives
Topics: Gasket materials; Critical dimensions; Making and installing a gasket; Preparing contact surfaces; Coatings and sealants; Gasket replacement
- Identify the types and uses of gasket materials.
- Name the critical dimensions of a flanged pipe joint gasket.
- List and explain the three characteristics of contact surfaces that must be considered prior to the installation of a gasket.
- Explain the uses of gasket coatings, tapes, and strips.
- Describe the application of sealants and adhesives in gasket joints.
Add Chapters to Your Custom Book
- Chapter 1: Tubing Fundamentals
- Chapter 2: Installing Tubing
- Chapter 3: Hydraulic Tubing Systems
- Chapter 4: Hose Systems
- Chapter 5: Gaskets, Sealants, and Adhesives
Request Exam Copies
Ready to see a copy of our textbooks? After selecting which textbooks you’d like to review for your course, you can submit your request by either logging in or creating an account so we know where to ship your exam copies. A representative from Schoolcraft will contact you to confirm and finish processing your request.
Exam copies are always free and yours to keep.